Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fit beginnings...I started with a pen and paper

At the start of 2011 I brainstormed a bucket list of goals for the year. I know a lot of people don't believe in making or keeping resolutions and to be honest, I hadn't exactly made a lot of previous resolutions myself. However I was doing Chalene Johnson's 30 Day Push Program and she kept saying you had to write things down. So I did.

And you know, if you write goals down and keep them on your nightstand, you have to look at them again. And when you look at them you think about them. And when you think about them, you start doing things related to them. So now it's pretty cool to look at them and check things off - things that I haven't dedicated time to in the past. And each one I've approached pretty slow and steady - I really do like to keep calm.

I'm making progress on my work ones, we travelled to Costa Rica in May, and I finally made the time to get certified as a Turbo Kick Instructor.  But I'll be honest, I haven't achieved all of my goals.  I haven't even come close to reading one book a month nor painting one canvas a month, and "have a baby" has been pushed off for a few years because I'm having too much fun doing other things (sorry mom). And I still have to cook a whole turkey by New Year's Eve.

And a big crazy goal that I wrote down (and by crazy I mean I never thought I'd actually do it) was to get in the best shape of my life and do a figure competition. I couldn't just say I wanted to get in shape; no, silly me, I had to write down that I wanted to get in good enough shape to wear a rhinestoned bikini, spray tan, 5" heels, and walk out on stage to be judged against amazing fit women who have been doing this for a long time. I started with ChaLean Extreme and then added in heavier weight workouts at the gym. I've eaten a lot of egg whites, chicken, asparagus, and protein powder..abstained from bread, soda, pasta, cheese and Texas Roadhouse...and now I'm writing this all down publicly, because in just a mere 7 days I'm supposed to be walking across that stage.

And I'm freaking out. But the best thing about this journey has been the people that have inspired me along the way, and those who have encouraged, cheered, and reassured me as I'm doubting myself,. And now I've written all this down. It's public. There's no backing out now. But if I can get through the next 7 days, maybe I can inspire someone else too. And maybe they'll write their goals down too.

No comments:

Post a Comment