Friday, April 20, 2012

Clean Eating Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers

The best thing about a "maintenance diet" is getting creative with recipes (there's only so much you can do on a contest diet). Currently I'm eating a lot of ground turkey. I came across this recipe in Clean Eating and attempted it with the ingredients I had in my house. Pretty simple and it cooks up in the crock pot over 7 hours. I made it the night before so I could take it to work, but you can throw it together in the morning and have it ready when you come home.

The shredded zucchini adds a lot of volume to the meat and gets some extra vegetables in without anyone else noticing (**husband**). If you don't like corn (**husband**), leave it out. It's pretty easy to change things out to taste. I for one add a LOT of garlic to everything.

It makes enough filling for about 6 peppers but I could only fit 4 peppers in my crock pot. So I made some meatballs on the side.

Ingredients:
* 1 24 oz can of diced tomatoes
* 1.5 cups chopped yellow onion
* 3 cloves minced garlic
* 3 tsp chili powder
* 3 tsp ground cumin
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* garlic powder to taste
* 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 lb ground lean turkey
* 2 cups grated zucchini
* 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
* 1 can yellow corn
* 1 can low sodium black beans
* 4-6 bell peppers, tops and seed removed and discarded

Directions!

1. In food processor/blender, blend tomatoes, 1/2 cup onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, oregano, and 1/2 cilantro until smooth. Pour half of the mixture into the bottom of the crock pot. Place the empty peppers into the crock pot.

2. In a large bowl, mix turkey, 2 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, zucchini, 1 clove minced garlic, garlic powder to taste, remaining onion, corn, cilantro, beans until well combined.

3. Stuff the turkey mix into the peppers. I topped mine with some extra jalapeno. Pour remaining tomato mixture over the top. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. If you want, sprinkle some cheese on top before serving.


Enjoy! 

Bonus: Each pepper fits nicely into a Glad twist container for easy portability.

No comments:

Post a Comment