Sunday, November 6, 2011

Go Figure!

So it was the big weekend - my very first NPC figure competition. And what a weekend it was!

Friday afternoon we drove up to Phoenix to get settled in. First order of business was registration, which involved a long line, signing in, receiving the usual event t-shirt/tank top, and being measured for sorting by height class sorting. Bodybuilders also have to strip down to their undies and weigh in. Everyone was really nice but you could definitely tell that they were all sizing up the competition.

Next order of business was spray tanning, which basically involved being sprayed the darkest shade of spray tan possible. So I basically went from being pretty darn pale to a deep golden brown. It actually wasn't that orange, so I didn't look like an oompa loompa, just super duper dark! But you have to go darker than you think you need to - if it looks ridiculous in person it will look natural on stage. It's rather inconvenient - you can't get it wet or it will run (and of course we had the first rain in Phoenix in a few months that night), it stains any light-colored material, and if you put on deodorant your armpits will turn green. It also smells awful, although that fortunately fades after being surrounded by another 200 non-deodoranted people for a weekend.

Saturday morning was a mandatory athlete's meeting where they went over the show rules and assigned your numbers and height classes. I ended up in the tallest figure class, Open Figure E.  Then it was back to the hotel to do hair and makeup. Getting dolled up was a huge part of the fun. I don't get to curl and tease my hair, wear fake eyelashes, a ton of makeup, and rhinestone jewelry on a usual workday.

We walked back across the street to the Arts Center and Figure A was lining up backstage so I luckily didn't have much time to worry and stress myself out since I pretty much had to get in line and walk out on stage for judging. I spent hours practicing my poses and when I actually went out there to do them it only took a matter of minutes. I was shaking so hard from nerves and my cheeks were quivering from holding my smile so long. I kept wondering if I hit all the poses right, did I flex all the right muscles? And I need to flex, because I don't have nearly as much muscle definition as some of the girls that have been doing this for a while. But I have something to work towards!

Woman in gold bikini is 62!
After prejudging we got lunch and then had another athlete's meeting. The night show started at six and figure was scheduled to go on stage at 7, so again I didn't have to wait and stress too long. The nice thing about the night show is there isn't any judging. Instead it's about entertaining the audience and introducing all the athletes who've worked so hard. I liken it to a recital - you spend months training and dieting and this is your chance to show off your hard work. So in the night show you walk out one at a time in your class and the MC reads off a bio sheet on you. There are some amazing stories - people losing 100 lbs, a bikini competitor with 6 kids, a 29 year old who recovered from a total hip replacement, a 62-year old fitness competitor with a six pack. It was the time to recognize everyone's hard work and dedication.

While I was super nervous in morning prejudging, at the night show I felt completely relaxed and at ease on the stage. You can hear everyone cheering and your bio is being read and you just bask in that moment. This has been such a big "bucket list" goal for almost 9 years...and now I can cross it off! You can tell from my big smile in the pic that I was actually enjoying myself in the night show. They only announce the top five in each class and I didn't place but honestly for my first show I wasn't expecting to - I just wanted to do my best and see how it all went down.

It was a HUGE adrenaline rush!


So what did I get out of this whole crazy experience?

  • I lost 20 lbs and 4 dress sizes - and a need to shop for a whole new wardrobe
  • I proved to myself that I can stick to a diet and workout routine
  • Conquering a huge fear - getting up on a stage and being judged is pretty intimidating
  • Friendships with the other girls, Martha and Val, and our amazing trainer Joni, and Gina and Terry who spent their weekend working hard to make sure we didn't have anything to stress about - and to make sure we had more than enough fun after! You ladies are wonderful!
  • Amazing support from my friends and family - all your wonderful comments really helped get me through this! Also a thank you to Princecella, Eva, Susanne, Maricela, and Elvia who came to cheer us on! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!


And I want to do it again in 4 weeks...Los Angeles anyone? 





1 comment:

  1. Leia, you are my hero! I wish I had even 1% of your drive and gusto. Its really something to be proud of. Congrats all the way around for all you have accomplished. :)

    ReplyDelete