Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I Dream of Rice Cakes...and Oatmeal

I'd like to point out that this week's crazy diet is just that...the final week crazy diet.

Most of the time I follow a pretty balanced and filling high protein diet...we're talking 2000+ calories. I even have "cheat days" but I like to call them "treat days." So when Texas Roadhouse opens in December, I'll be saving one of those treat days for a sweet potato and one of their amazing rolls (which are 120 calories apiece, so treat is the right word).

My favorite breakfast is a cup of hot oatmeal with a teaspoon of cinnamon and a handful of raspberries, along with five egg whites. I just get those liquid egg whites and nuke them in the microwave for two minutes with some ground red pepper. The egg whites smell awful (you know, the kind of smell that makes your coworkers comment) so I eat those pretty quick and then take my time with my oatmeal, savoring each hot cinnamony bite.

And to think, I wasn't a fan of oatmeal before.

If you need some oatmeal ideas, one of my new favorite cookbooks is 75 Ways to Love Your Oatmeal by Jenny Grothe. The hubby is going to be getting a lot of oatmeal when he's back from this deployment. But who can resist things like "Raspberry Cheescake Baked Oatmeal", "Baked Banana Oatmeal in Rum", "Black Forest Baked Oatmeal", and "Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal"? Best part is the author is also a figure competitor, CrossFitter, and marathon runner, so all the recipes are bodybuilding friendly. I've discovered a whole world of sugar-free Torani syrups and cheesecake flavor drops...

(While I'm on this final week crazy diet I spend a lot of time looking at recipe books and food magazines. You'd think it'd be torture but it actually kind of helps.)

Speaking of pumpkin, my wonderful friend Candee from bootcamp surprised me with a care package today, which included CoffeeMate Pumpkin Spice creamer, rice cakes, peanut butter, and chocolate covered raisins.  Thank you Candee!!! It totally touched my heart and made my day. :D

I can hardly wait to have a rice cake with peanut butter and raisins on Sunday!!! That is my favorite mid-afternoon snack. Try it, it will really help you get through that 3 o'clock slump.

Today was much better. Things are looking up.

Three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment