Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Running Out of Gas

This final countdown to the show diet has me running out of gas...literally. I didn't even notice my gas light was on last week while I was driving to work. I've never done that before; I usually fill up when I have a quarter tank left. Lucky for me there was a Circle K just up the road to roll into. That was also the same day I put raspberries in my egg whites instead of my oatmeal. The following day I completely forgot my purse, wallet and all, when I left the house.  All you need to get going are your car keys and phone. At least I didn't run out of gas AND leave my wallet at home on the SAME day.


You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but nope, tonight I was coasting into a gas station again.

So why am I doing such stupid things? I'm pretty sure it's because my carb intake just went to 100% green veggies.

You see, your body really likes glucose. Glucose, good old sugar, is the easiest thing for your body to use as fuel, and all carbs are eventually broken down into glucose. And the human body has evolved to be very energy efficient (aka "lazy"). If you're getting enough carbs to provide it with easy energy, it slows production of the enzymes and hormones that help break down non-carb sources of energy, like fat. Stop eating the same amount of carbs and you have to get that energy from somewhere else, only now your body isn't prepared to break down those other sources. Your body will eventually adapt, so long as you keep feeding it non-carb food, it will produce more enzymes and get better at getting the energy it needs. It just takes a while to get there...

You'll also notice if you have more sugar one day, you'll have cravings the next day...because your darn body knows it's alot easier to digest sugars and it wants more.

I kind of got over the low-energy hump and I've moved onto the emotional outburst hump.

I almost lost it in the grocery store when the woman next to me kept humming! Humming!!! It was like she was mocking me with her humming, I'm pretty sure that she was humming because she was so happy to be buying pasta as I was on my way to get more tuna. Really, I knew I was being ridiculous but I just got so stressed and irritated from her humming.

Then at the gym tonight I was on the incline press and I was thinking that I wanted to lift heavier but of course my hubby is gone so I didn't have a spotter and I just burst into tears. I'm pretty sure I scared all the guys in the weight area.  I should've disguised my sobs with some loud grunting and throwing some weights down.

Now tonight I'm cooking a bunch of food for a work party...food that I can't eat. My house smells like sauteed onions and garlic and tomatoes and beef and I can't have any of it.

It was a really stressful day and I'm fighting off a head cold that even my beloved Netipot isn't doing much for and I gave in and had peanut M&Ms. :(  I know, I feel bad and it's my butt on stage in 4 days. But I'm just being honest and I'm not beating myself up for it. Just got to do better tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't upset too many people today. If I did, I'm sorry. Dear people, I love you. If I try to bite your head off, know it's not me. Blame evolution.

Four days.

1 comment:

  1. You look fabulous and your situation (husby-less) sucks. It takes some kind of woman to do the things you do. I'm very proud of you, not just for your progress and willingness to eat really odd things, but for your ability to be ok with yourself when you eat M&Ms! If you were me, you'd have bought the "large" bag and eaten the whole thing in one sitting! You rock!

    ReplyDelete